- Deep breathing
- Progressive relaxation
- Fighting it with will power
- Self talk
- Thinking positive
If fighting the fear, pushing it away, and distracting yourself doesn't work, then what does? The OPPOSITE! Allowing the fear to increase, welcoming it, and focusing on it. As counter intuitive as that sounds, it works! I can't go into every detail on one of the methods that I learned here in Panic Away, but the next time you feel a panic attack starting, try this effective technique:
- Observe the fear and sensations. Let them flow through you without trying to push them away or distract yourself from them. Just be with them and focus on your body and mind.
- Embrace the fear. Welcome the anxiety, allow it increase in strength. Changes your attitude from rejection to acceptance, rendering the fear powerless. When the fear is as strong as it can be...
- Demand more! More fear, more symptoms - bring on the panic! By wanting more, you destroy any resistance. The fear is allowed to to fully pass through you. If something bad will happen, then let it happen now and get it over with! By not resisting, you are in control.
- Finally, trust that you are OK and secure. Repeat the process and trust that it cannot hurt you because you have allowed it to become it's worse, and you are still OK. Trust that you will be able to handle it again if it ever comes.